Thursday, November 25, 2010

Inception

Inception screens at Toronto Underground Cinema on Friday, November 26th at 9:00pm, Sunday, November 28th at 9:30pm, and Wednesday, December 1st at 9:00pm.



I suppose it is kind of appropriate that I don't remember all that much about Inception outside of its plot. It has kind of taken on a dream like quality since I first saw it. I remember the film centered around a team of "dream extraction experts" who specialize in stealing information from the subconscious minds of their victims. I remember the film was visually stunning and having one of the best musical scores of all time. I remember loving every minute of the film while I was watching it, and I still remember talking about every theory regarding what actually happened in the film.

I am not really one for theories, but I for one do intend on checking out Inception at the Underground this coming weekend. Not so much because I don't remember much of it, but because I had an enjoyable time watching the film. Inception is essentially a high minded heist film grafted onto the dynamics that made the Nightmare on Elm Street series of films work.

Christopher Nolan has proven himself the master of what I like to call the "parlor trick" film. In The Prestige, Insomnia, and Memento, Nolan plays the audiences perceptions of a situation like a violin, only to subvert them at the last second. What sets Inception apart is that there really might not have even been a trick involved. Maybe, just maybe, the story played out exactly like it was supposed to. Every theory you might have, could just be made up by your own subconscious.

At first, I thought my forgetting of much of Inception meant that the movie didn't really stick with me. The more I think about it, I realize that isn't the case. I almost think this is a movie where you are supposed to remember very specific scenes, just like you can only remember certain parts of a dream. It just helps that these parts are wrapped up in one of the most entertaining and satisfying films of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment